Friday, August 18, 2023

Thriving on the Debate Stage: A Memorable Experience of Triumph and Growth


 



 


    Recently, I had the privilege of participating in a thrilling debate competition organized by Creative Academy in collaboration with Debate Network Nepal (DNN) on May 30, 2023. The event unfolded in the highly esteemed World Scholar's Debate Championship format, with teams of three members engaging in intense intellectual battles. The mixture of nerves and excitement in the air was evident, as we prepared to showcase our skills and fight for victory. The competition was centered around a clash between the "Government Side" and the "Opposition Side." As my team and I took our places, the weight of responsibility settled on our shoulders, driving us to deliver our most compelling arguments.


    As the competition commenced, the moderator's voice filled the room, announcing the motion for the first round. My heart pounded with nervous excitement as I prepared to define my team's stance. Each time we spoke, the spotlight was on us, and we were determined to shine the brightest with strong and persuasive arguments. During the breaks between rounds, we took the opportunity to regroup and improve our strategies. I took a deep sigh of relief during these short pauses due to the nerve-wracking competition. Actually, the preparation time was the most nerve-wracking part. I felt as though I didn’t have much to say. But, as soon as I started speaking, I felt as confident as ever. The atmosphere in the debate room was filled with intellectual intensity as we exchanged ideas and countered our opponents' points. It was challenging and I was nervous to my core.

 

    Round after round, we passionately presented our arguments and defended our positions. Despite the pressure, we remained enthusiastic and confident. Our efforts were rewarded as we won all three rounds, which filled us with immense pride and happiness. I became more and more hopeful with every victory. Upon reaching the finals, the competition intensified, and we found ourselves engaged in a tough battle with the opposing team. Our final round was over. We were nervously waiting for the results to be announced. I was very hopeful that we’d win. But I can never be too sure, can I? The whole wait felt extremely long. Unfortunately, to add on to that, we were informed that the results would be announced the next day due to some unavoidable circumstances.

 

    The result was finally being announced. I could feel my heart beating faster with every passing second. When the final result was announced, declaring us the winners of the competition, I felt an overwhelming sense of pride. Reflecting on our journey, I am grateful and proud of our team. I embraced my nervousness and just did my best throughout the tournament. Being awarded as the ‘Best Speaker’ of the tournament made my experience even more thrilling. The tournament was a great learning experience and the time and dedication I spent on it was worth it. This debate competition provided us with an opportunity to showcase our skills, develop critical thinking abilities, and public speaking skills. 


    I am incredibly proud of my team's determination and collective effort to excel. This experience has given me newfound confidence and the belief that I can face and overcome challenges. This experience has left a lasting impact on our academic journey, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have participated in this event. 


   - Republica Gautam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploration and Learning Of Local Goods with Students

  -Ridhi Regmi -24th January,2024 An Outdoor-based activity was done amongst the students of grade 4 on 24th of December, with the sole purp...